Fall Semester Closedown
It's almost the end of fall semester! Please review the information, based on your housing scenario.
University Housing Closing
University Housing closes for end of fall semester at 4:00 p.m. Saturday December 18. All students, except those who have an active Break Access/Holiday Housing contract, are required to vacate by this time. Late stays beyond 4:00 p.m. are not permitted.
Food Service operations will also close on Saturday, and Campus Meal Plans will deactivate at 4:00 p.m.. Students who have a PSreUsable container should return it to Dining prior to Friday December 17 to avoid a $5 per container charge. Contact Penn State Dining with questions.
Winter Break Housing
Students who need to stay on campus during the winter break (December 18 - January 8) may request temporary housing. Check-in instructions will be shared directly with students approved to stay on campus.
Learn more about resources available during Winter Break at https://www.psu.edu/news/student-affairs/story/guide-resources-basic-needs-students-during-winter-break-penn-state/
Move Out Instructions
Students who are returning to the same room assignment for spring semester do not need to remove personal belongings, although it is recommended that items of value are taken home if feasible. Students do NOT need to return room key to the Commons Desk or "check out". However, students should ensure that their room key and id+ Card are stored in a safe location to bring back with them in the spring semester.
These students will be eligible to utilize the self check-in feature for spring arrival.
Fall Departures - students not returning to Penn State
Students who are not returning to Penn State for spring semester will need to check-out of Housing by 4:00 p.m. Saturday December 18. Students will receive a Move Out Instruction Checklist under their room door by Saturday December 11; if a checklist is not received, one can be picked up in the Housing Operations office or Commons Desk.
- Pack all personal belongings
- Clean room according to Move Out Instructions
- Complete the Move Out Instruction Checklist and sign
- Contact Housing or RA for a courtesy room inspection (not required)
- Lock room door
- Return room key to Commons Desk. Students will receive an email to confirm check-out is complete. Failure to return room key will result in $64 core change fee per core, which will be charged to the student's LionPATH account.
- Building access will be removed at time of check-out and will not work past 4:00 p.m. Saturday December 18
- Campus Meal Plans will deactivate at 4:00 p.m. Saturday December 18; any remaining dining dollars will be forfeited.
Spring Room Assignment Changes
Students who are changing room assignments for spring semester will need to completely check out of their fall room assignment before 4:00 p.m. Saturday December 18. The spring room assignment may be currently occupied by a student and therefore, not available to access prior to the end of fall semester. Students can check on room availability during Finals Week by stopping by the housing area Commons Desk of the spring room assignment. The University makes no guarantee that this option will be available.
Laundry carts will be available in the lobby of every building on a first-come, first-served basis. Please return carts to the same location so that others may utilize them.
Spring Room Assignment IS Available: Drop-and-Go Storage Option
If a student's spring room assignment is available, the student can sign out a loaner room key Monday December 13 - Saturday December 18, between 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m. ONLY. Evening hours are NOT available for drop-and-go storage. Loaner room keys are signed out for a 2-hour window, and if the room key is not returned, the student will be charged for a core change.
Students need to be aware that there could be a roommate currently in the room and to be respectful when entering the room.
Drop-and-Go Storage Instructions:
- Sign out loaner room key at Commons Desk and receive the In-Room Storage form
- Valuable items, such as electronics, cannot be stored
- Items must be in a box or container that is taped shut, or in a suitcase. Trash bags are not permitted.
- Items must be clearly labeled with student's name, room assignment, PSU ID, and phone number
- Items must be placed on the bed; room set up is not permitted for drop-and-go storage
- Housing Operations may not have cleaned the portion of the room prior to items being stored; indicate cleaning preference on In-Room Storage form
- Leave completed In-Room Storage form on top of items
- Return loaner room key to Commons Desk
- Return fall semester room key to Commons Desk to be officially checked out of fall room assignment. An email will be sent to confirm check-out. Failure to return room key will result in $64 core change fee per core, which will be charged to the student's LionPATH account.
Spring Room Assignment is NOT Available: Self-Storage Option
If the student's spring room assignment is not available for drop-and-go storage, students may contact the area Housing Operations office to discuss self-storage options. Use of self-storage is at student's risk. Housing Operations will provide students with instructions on where to go to drop items.
Self-storage option is ONLY available during these dates and times:
- Saturday December 11 - Sunday December 12, 6:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Monday December 13 - Saturday December 18, 8:00 a.m. - 4:00 p.m.
- Staff will NOT be available during evening hours
Students will complete a Self-Storage form, which will be given to student by Housing Operations or available for pick-up at the Commons Desk, which is to be left with items.
Students will be provided with dates and times for when items can be picked up at the beginning of spring semester, which may be limited and not available during evenings or overnight. Students need to plan accordingly (for example, if a student arrives at 10:00 p.m., they should bring linen to use that night, if their other linen is in storage).
University Housing opens at 8:00 a.m. Saturday January 8. Students who need to arrive prior to Saturday will need to make alternative arrangements for housing.
Students who have changed room assignments will need to check-in at the Commons Desk to receive the new room key and activate building access and Campus Meal Plan account.