Gender Inclusive Housing
Welcome to Penn State!
Penn State strives to provide a safe, inclusive, comfortable, and supportive living environment for all students residing on campus.
The University is proud to offer gender-inclusive housing options for students who identify as members of the lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender, and ally students community. Staff members are available to work with students in a one-on-one setting to identify the most appropriate room assignment. Upperclass students may also participate in the Open Housing option where students of any gender may live together in a space.
Learn more about these options below or reach out to our staff for assistance.
Gender Inclusive Housing
For any student interested in a gender-inclusive room assignment, our staff will work with you in a personal and confidential manner to discuss what housing options are available. It is important to contact us early in the process so that we may offer the widest range of housing options. There is no guarantee that a particular space will be available.
Gender Inclusive Housing may include a single- or double-occupancy room with access to the preferred community bathroom.
Upper-class students may request Open Housing, which is where students are assigned to a room with no regard to roommate(s) gender.
Students interested in Open Housing should follow these steps:
- Both students in the pair must have accepted a HFS Contract.
- Each student will need to review and submit the Open Housing Agreement online form
- A staff member from Housing and Food Services will be in touch with the group to discuss room options and to confirm placement
- Students understand that the group is responsible for filling the double room on their own, as Housing and Food Services does not provide open housing roommate matching.
We recommend students request Open Housing for the following academic year by March 1. Requests for Open Housing may be submitted after this suggested date, however, space available will become increasingly limited as room assignments are processed.
We want to make sure that you feel safe and comfortable with your room assignment. Please feel free to contact us to discuss your interest and options available, as we want to work with you in an individual and confidential manner.
- Tracy Walker, Associate Director, Housing and Food Services 814-865-7862
- Meeghan Hollis, Associate Director, Residence Life 814-863-1710
- Sonya Wilmoth, Director, Center for Sexual and Gender Diversity 814-863-1248