Moving In & Moving Out
It's exciting to plan your move back home! To expedite moving out, it is recommended that students start packing their personal items BEFORE their planned departure (especially if someone is picking them up, to reduce time cars are parked on campus).
Each student living in University Housing is responsible for the condition of that room at the time of check-out. Roommates need to develop a plan together for cleaning and getting the room back to its original move-in state. Cleaning supplies and vacuum cleaners are available at each Commons Desk. All students must check out (by returning the room key to the Commons Desk) and leave University Housing by the day after their last final examination.
- Fall semester: University housing closes at 4:00 p.m. on the day following the last scheduled examination for official University courses, as announced by the University Registrar.
- Spring semester: University housing closes at 4:00 p.m. either one (1) or two (2) days following the last schedule examination for official University courses, as announced by the University Registrar.
- Summer Session: University housing closes at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, the day following the last scheduled examination for official University courses, as announced by the University Registrar.
- Early Building Closures: Due to summer housing needs and construction projects, several residence halls will close a day earlier than the rest of campus. Students assigned to those buildings will be notified in advance. These buildings are used for Maymester housing, which begins on Sunday, the same day as spring closedown. Time is required to clean the building for use.
- Withdrawals: If a student withdraws from the University, the student must officially check-out within 24 hours.
Move Out Instructions
Fall Semester 2022 Instructions
STUDENTS WITH SAME ROOM ASSIGNMENT IN SPRING SEMESTER
Students who will be returning to the same room assignment for spring semester do NOT need to move out; personal belongings may remain in the room. It is recommended that essentials (books, mobile devices, IDs, medications, etc.) and valuable items be taken home during the break. Students should clean their room prior to departure - remove all trash and perishables, keep items off floors unless in plastic bins. Turn off all lights and unplug all electronics and devices (except for the MicroFridge), and lock all doors and windows. Housing Operations staff will enter all rooms during the break to confirm.
If your room assignment has a vacancy, you may be assigned a new roommate for the spring semester. Please create a welcome space prior to departure. Move all furniture back to its original location, and place all personal belongings on your side. During the break, Housing Operations staff will enter any room with vacancy to clean and prepare for the new student.
STUDENTS WHO ARE LEAVING THE UNIVERSITY
Housing Operations will provide each student a Move Out Instructions Checklist (PDF file) (pick up a copy at the Housing Operations office or Commons Desk). Students should follow these instructions to officially move out of University Housing. Adhering to these instructions will avoid damage and cleaning charges being applied to the student's LionPATH account. Each roommate may request a courtesy inspection at time of departure; this is encouraged for the last roommate to depart, when your space is empty. Regardless of the first or last resident to move out, students are responsible for charges incurred from damages or cleaning, which may be assessed by Housing during a final inspection AFTER move-out; not completed during courtesy inspection. Contact your Housing Area or Resident Assistant (RA) for courtesy inspection during these times:
- Monday - Wednesday: 8:00am-4:00pm (Housing), 4:00pm-7:00pm (RA)
- Thursday - Sunday: 8:00am-11:00am (Housing), 11:00am-7:00pm (RA)
STUDENTS WHO ARE CHANGING ROOM ASSIGNMENTS
Students who are changing room assignments for spring semester will need to completely move-out of their fall room assignment and officially check-out (return the room key to the Commons Desk to avoid a core change being processed and billed). Students may not move into their spring room assignment, as students are currently living in the room for fall semester. Students will need to complete the Room Change Instructions Checklist (PDF file).
Students may contact the area Housing Operations office of your new spring assignment to discuss self-storage options. Use of self-storage is at your own risk; the University assumes no responsibility for damaged or lost items.
Housing Operations staff will be available during these times ONLY, they will NOT be available during evening hours.
- Saturday December 10 and Sunday December 11: 6:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
- Monday December 12 through Saturday December 17: 8:00 a.m. - 2:00 p.m.
Spring Semester Pick-up
You will be provided with dates and times for when items can be picked up at beginning of semester, which may be limited and not available during evenings or overnight. Students need to plan accordingly (for example, if you arrive at 10:00 p.m., bring linen to use that night if your linen is in storage).