Moving In & Moving Out
It's exciting to plan your move back home! To expedite moving out, it is recommended that students start packing their personal items BEFORE their planned departure (especially if someone is picking them up, to reduce time cars are parked on campus).
Each student living in University Housing is responsible for the condition of that room at the time of check-out. Roommates need to develop a plan together for cleaning and getting the room back to its original move-in state. Cleaning supplies and vacuum cleaners are available at each Commons Desk. All students must check out (by returning the room key to the Commons Desk) and leave University Housing by the day after their last final examination.
- Fall semester: University housing closes at 4:00 p.m. on the day following the last scheduled examination for official University courses, as announced by the University Registrar.
- Spring semester: University housing closes at 4:00 p.m. either one (1) or two (2) days following the last schedule examination for official University courses, as announced by the University Registrar.
- Summer Session: University housing closes at 12:00 p.m. on Saturday, the day following the last scheduled examination for official University courses, as announced by the University Registrar.
- Early Building Closures: Due to summer housing needs and construction projects, several residence halls will close a day earlier than the rest of campus. Students assigned to those buildings will be notified in advance. These buildings are used for Maymester housing, which begins on Sunday, the same day as spring closedown. Time is required to clean the building for use.
- Withdrawals: If a student withdraws from the University, the student must officially check-out within 24 hours.
Move Out Instructions
Spring Semester 2022: Students may move out on a date/time that is convenient for them; students living in East Halls must vacate prior to 4:00pm on Saturday, while students in other areas must vacate by 4:00pm on Sunday.
At the end of the last semester that a student will live in the room, Housing Operations will provide each student a Move Out Instructions Checklist (see below for PDF file, or pick up a copy at the Housing Operations office or Commons Desk). Students should follow these instructions to officially move out of University Housing. Adhering to these instructions will avoid damage and cleaning charges being applied to the student's LionPATH account. Each roommate may request a courtesy inspection at time of departure; this is encouraged for the last roommate to depart, when your space is empty. Regardless of the first or last resident to move out, students are responsible for charges incurred from damages or cleaning, which may be assessed by Housing during a final inspection AFTER move-out; not completed during courtesy inspection. Contact your Housing Area or Resident Assistant (RA) for courtesy inspection during these times:
- Monday - Wednesday: 8:00am-4:00pm (Housing), 4:00pm-7:00pm (RA)
- Thursday - Sunday: 8:00am-11:00am (Housing), 11:00am-7:00pm (RA)
Between April 25 - May 8, collection bins will be available in the lobbies of all residence halls. Students are encouraged to drop off gently used and unwanted clothing, and small household and decorative items. Large furniture items will not be accepted. Unexpired food items may also be dropped off and will be distributed to local food pantries.
Goodwill will collect and transport donations to its main sorting site after students move out, and then items will be distributed to Goodwill locations across a 15-county region to be sold.
Donations are a sustainable way for students to help protect the environment by keeping items out of the landfill.